URL access to SSRS with parameters

Passing a parameter to a SSRS report that is hosted in SharePoint 2010 can be done using the following URL (assuming that the report parameter is a string) :

http://bisite/_layouts/ReportServer/RSViewerPage.aspx?rv:RelativeReportUrl=/Reports/MyReport.rdl&rv:ParamMode=Hidden&rp:city=Perth

rv:RelativeReportUrl is path to the report
rv:ParamMode is the parameters panel setting
rp:city is the report’s parameter (Please note the prefix ‘rp‘)

For more information about other URL options, please refer to this link msdn

If the report is based on Analysis Service (SSAS), the parameter would be slightly different. Instead of just the value, the parameter needs to be in MDX format, e.g. [CityInfo].[City].&[Perth]

Using the example above, the URL to pass the SSAS parameter would be:

http://bisite/_layouts/ReportServer/RSViewerPage.aspx?rv:RelativeReportUrl=/Reports/MyReport.rdl&rv:ParamMode=Hidden&rp:city=%5BCityInfo%5D.%5BCity%5D.%26%5BPerth%5D

*Please note that the ampersand (&) should be replaced with %26

Lesson learned about PerformancePoint and SSRS

Today I have learned a few things about PerformancePoint web part, SSRS and report parameters. First thing first, the requirement was to build a SSRS report with SSAS as the data source and the report should be displayed on a Dashboard page.

I started with creating the report using ReportBuilder 3.0. I defined the data source and decided to use Query Designer to generate the MDX query. So I selected some fields and defined the parameters. In addition, I also let Query Designer to generate the parameters automatically which generates hidden datasets

Saved the report, created the performance point report using Dashboard Designer and deployed to SharePoint. I also added a query string url filter web part to read a querystring and pass it to my PerformancePoint webpart. Great, all done!!! But….when I opened the page, I had to wait 2-3 minutes just to see SSRS loading image 😦 .

Long story short, did some research and found some comments about removing the generated hidden datasets if I don’t need them. So I went to Report builder, removed the parameter datasets (which can be found in the Datasets folder, right click and select ‘Show hidden Datasets’) and saved the report. It did improve the rendering time of the report (by a lot!!!).

So lessons learned for today were:

  • Generated queries/parameters are great but need to use them with caution
  • Try to manually create the MDX query (if you can)